Crisis & Emergency Resources
A. Medical Mental Health Services
If you are at risk of harm and cannot get yourself to a hospital emergency room please call 911 immediately and help will come to you. Otherwise, please visit your nearest hospital emergency department to receive immediate attention.
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
If you are able to get yourself to a hospital that specializes in mental health services, CAMH provides assessment and care for psychiatric emergencies to anyone walking into their emergency department who they determine to be at risk or in need of service.
Crisis Line: 416-535-8501 ext 6885
Location: 250 College Street (north-east corner at College and Spadina), Toronto, Ontario.
The Hospital for Sick Children – Psychiatric Emergency Crisis Service
- Monday-Sunday 8 am-11 pm
- telephone consultation for children at imminent risk of harm to themselves or others
- ongoing risk assessment
- crisis service — initial assessment through Emergency Department
B. Non-medical Mental Health/Support Services
The Gerstein Centre
Provides crisis intervention to adults, living in the City of Toronto, who experience mental health problems. The Centre provides supportive counselling for immediate, crisis issues and referrals to other services for on-going, non-crisis issues. This service is a community mental health service and is non-medical. Crisis calls of a medical nature (psychiatric assessment, severe self-harm or suicide attempts) are referred to a hospital. The service has three aspects, telephone support, community visits and a ten- bed, short-stay residence. All three aspects of the service are accessed through the crisis line, (416) 929-5200. It is preferred that anyone wishing to use the Centre’s service call the crisis line personally.
Gerstein Centre Website
Distress Centres of Toronto
Telephone response to persons in need of immediate emotional support, crisis intervention or suicide prevention.
Crisis Phone: 416-408-4357 ; 416-408-HELP
Distress Centres of Toronto
C. Sexual Assault Centres:
Women’s College Hospital
Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Care Centre 416-323-6040 — entrance on Grosvenor St west of Bay St
- Monday-Sunday 24 hours
- men and women
- medical assessment and treatment
- collection of medical and legal evidence at request of client
- psychological and social support
- follow-up medical and psychological services as required
- safety planning
- cultural interpreters
Toronto Rape Crisis Centre: Multicultural Women Against Rape
Crisis intervention and culturally sensitive counselling, support and referral for survivors of rape/sexual assault/incest.
- support for families and friends of survivors
- self help groups for sexually assaulted women
- information on alternatives to the legal justice system
- court support, accompaniment and advocacy program
- support groups on general issues for women in the Vanier Centre for Women (Milton), with individual counselling as needed
- research, public education, workshops
- library related to women’s issues
- children’s room
- comprehensive volunteer training
- all services confidential
- trans-positive environment
Crisis phone: 416-597-8808
Crisis Centre Website
Support and Shelters for Abused Women
Safe emergency accommodation with telephone crisis lines for women who have experienced or are at risk of domestic violence.
Assaulted Women’s Helpline 416-863-0511 (TTY 416 364-8762).
Outside 416 area 1-866-863-0511 (TTY 1-866-863-7868).
D. Child Protection Services
Children’s Aid Society of Toronto
Office Phone: 416-924-4646
Crisis Phone: 416-924-4646
Children’s Aid Website
E. Other Legal Services
Law Society of Upper Canada
Telephone referrals $6 per call — 1-900-565-4577 (Bell residential lines), 416-947-3300 (other phone services and pay phones) *
- after brief assessment, referrals made to participating lawyer *
- lawyers will provide up to one free half hour of consultation by telephone or in person *
- fees for subsequent consultation or any legal work are negotiated with the lawyer
Callers who are incarcerated, institutionalized, under the age of majority, in domestic abuse crises, or calling regarding child protection issues can call 416-947-3330 in Toronto at no expense, or toll free 1-800-268-8326 in the rest of Ontario. TTY Phone: 416-644-4886.
Law Society Website
Legal Aid Ontario
Lawyers specializing in family law. Representation for custody, access, restraining orders, divorce, support, property issues, child protection or Children’s Aid cases.
Office Phone: 416-348-0001; Toll Free: 1-800-331-9618
Legal Aid Website